2016/11/07

slow cooked apple sauce

I love apple sauce with several different dishes like rice pudding, waffles, pancakes, muesli, porridge or even a quick and easy apple pie etc. so whenever my favorite apples for apple sauce come in season I make 1-2 big batches and that'll tie me over for the whole year! Making apple sauce is really an idiot proof recipe but making it in the slow cooker is even easier!

Personally I prefer boskop or braeburn apples.
The other ingredient you'll need besides apples is cinnamon and that is optional and used to taste.

I have a 3.5ltr slow cooker which holds 3kg of apples cut in 1/8th chunks. It's filled to the top but it'll reduce after a few hours of cooking.

I fill my slow cooker with peeled apples and sprinkle a lot of cinnamon (make sure to use organic cinnamon! And yes, I love a lot of cinnamon!) in between layers. Then I cook it on low over night. (Anywhere from 10-14hrs. This is a really forgiving recipe). Mash or purrée the apples. Personally I like it a little chunky.
Then fill it in jars (still hot!) and let cool on the counter. :)

If you're in a hurry and want to make a smaller portion only you can cut your apples smaller and cook on high for 3-4hrs.

Btw hot apple sauce makes perfect company to vanilla (n)icecream :) and is a great and easy homemade dessert if you have dinner guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)