2014/07/15

Being vegan - kind of a review

Yesterday, July 14th, marked my 4 year vegan-anniversary so I figured I'd share a few thoughts about my experience, the pros and cons that came with that decision. I celebrated by making some delicious Falafel, going to the cinema, and buying myself a present: the audio books of  "Die Känguru-Chroniken", "Das Känguru-Manifest" and "Die Känguru-Offenbarung" :)

So a couple of pros

  • I learned a lot about healthy food
  • I found my love for cooking and experimenting in the kitchen with new foods
  • My regular meal-repertoire expanded widely
  • I am more open to trying new alternative things like reusable menstrual products, cloth diapers (once I'm a mum), using less chemicals and only natural cosmetics
  • I never considered myself to be inspiring for other people, since I think I'm a pretty regular person, but friends are telling me about their occasional flirting with veganism - I'd lie if I pretended that this doesn't make incredibly proud ;)
  • I am SO much healthier than before and my PCOS is now pretty much only a slight hormonal disbalance
  • I eat like a horse but don't have any weight problems (no, I'm not super-skinny. I'm a very healthy weight and have the curves exactely where they need to be)
  • I am a lot calmer than before. I don't get angry as much and I'm more relaxed in general
  • I learned to judge people less than I used to and learned to give up a lot of prejudices I learned in my childhood
  • I found a more kind and loving outlook on everything which makes life easier and me happier

A couple of cons (yes there are a few)
  • When I go to a non-veg* restaurant, I always have to have "the vegan talk" with the waiter - unfortunately the world isn't as ready for veganism as I am - but so far everyone was incredibly accommodating, friendly and helpful. If there was nothing vegan on the menu I got delicious special creations!
  • If I'm craving something special like Indian food I have to cook it myself. That was WAY easier when I lived in Berlin. I have to admit, living in a small town when you're vegan is not the most convenient way to do it
  • Ignorant people ask stupid questions to provoke you and get upset if you either confuse them with facts or ignore them
  • Quite a lot of people ask you to explain it. I like teaching about this healthy alternative, but sometimes I feel like "man.. just google it!" or wish I'd have a chart of why, when and how to. I know the ones who ask those questions are really interested and want to understand and learn. But I have explained it a lot of times and sometimes I just don't feel like explaining ;)
  • Some people will feel judged or judge you. Even though I don't! I believe that every person is entitled to eat or not to eat what they want or don't want. I wasn't vegan, before I was vegan either. I don't have the right to judge anyone for eating animal products. I did it myself for 20 years. Do I wish I never did? Yes! It would have changed a lot of my health issues and how I felt (physically) after every non-vegan meal. But I didn't. Maybe this person isn't ready yet to become veg*. Maybe this person will never be ready. So what?! It's not my life and not my problem so what do I care?!
    I've heard of vegans judging vegetarians for being hypocritical. In my opinion this is really stupid. We all know that the world will never be completely vegan, so why not encourage people to make tiny steps into a veg* lifestyle. If it means 1 veg* meal per week, then it's already a huge step into a perfectly healthy direction. If it means being vegetarian, even better!
Hope you have a lovely summer day (or winter day if you're on the other half of the world!)
Julia
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)